Iglesia del antiguo Convento del Carmen (The Church of the Old Convent of the Carmen), started life as a convent in 1281. It is a grouping of a medieval chapel, a gothic cloister, a Renaissance chapel, the parish of Santa Cruz and the Chapel of the Third Order. This church is located in our neighborhood, one street over in the Plaza del Carmen. The lovely church bells keep us on time for our activities.
In the early 1900s the buildings were declared public buildings and today, part of the original convent houses the Museo del Carmen, the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos and the Museum of Fine Arts of Valencia. It also served as a warehouse for the Museo Del Prado in Madrid during the Civil War (to avoid the bombings of Madrid).
(click on any picture to go to slideshow mode)